Kybella to improve the appearance of a double chin
Kybella is a synthetic form of deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring chemical in the body that destroys fat cells by breaking down the fat cell’s membrane which the body then absorbs and metabolizes. Kybella is used to contour and improve the appearance of a double chin due to fat deposition in the area. Kybella is FDA has approved to melt away moderate to severe submental fat; the fat below the chin resulting in a double chin.
Kybella or chin liposuction for a double chin?
Traditional chin liposuction, or a laser chin liposuction with Precision TX are two options to make a stubborn double chin go away. Kybella is the third, and newest, FDA approved option now being offered for the eradication of submental fat. Since this procedure is non-invasive and requires virtually no downtime with significantly less swelling and bruising –it can be the best option for patients with busy lives. There are little to no risks, very minimal downtime, and can be done in the doctor’s office, rather than a surgery center. Here is a comparison of both options. For more information, schedule a consultation with one of Westside Head & Neck’s doctors, and they can help you choose which procedure is right for you.
- Kybella can get rid of under chin fat using simple injections. This appeals to people who do not want to undergo more invasive surgeries.
- Downtime for Kybella is shorter and can be done during a regular office visit. Patients may be swollen with tenderness for up to a week afterwards, but there are no other signs of the treatment so patients can return to their regular routine immediately. Chin liposuction requires 2-3 weeks of recovery since the procedure is more invasive.
- Liposuction, often with the Precision TX Laser, is the recommended option for people with large amounts of fat under the chin.
- Kybella dissolves fat but does not correct excess skin laxity, while during liposuction with the Precision TX Laser, the surgeon can also tighten the skin. If you have loose skin in this area (“turkey neck”), Kybella can’t address that problem. If you have a double chin and saggy skin, liposuction might be a better choice for you. .
- Traditional liposuction or laser lipo with Precision TX are both done in a single visit. Kybella may require several treatments with multiple injections at each session. Treatments sessions are spaced about four weeks apart, however, each appointment only takes about 20-30 minutes
- Liposuction, however, is surgery and will involve a longer, and more involved recovery. Any surgery has associated risks, such as risk of infection, increased amount or duration of pain, and longer recover time.
- Price-wise, liposuction is usually more expensive. This would depend on number of treatments needed to see desired results with Kybella.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kybella:
What does a Kybella treatment entail?Each patient first has a pre-treatment consultation. One of the most important aspects of any successful cosmetic procedure is individual customization and careful preparation with each patient. Before your Kybella chin reduction treatment, a thorough assessment and medical history will be completed to assure your safety and the best possible outcome. The treatment itself usually takes about 20-30 minutes. The Kybella serum is injected subcutaneously using an area-adjusted dose. The number of injections administered during each treatment varies from patient to patient depending on their individual case and desired results. Kybella is comprised of deoxycholic acid, which breaks down and absorbs dietary fat. When Kybella shots are injected into subcutaneous fat, the underlying fat cells are destroyed and cannot rejuvenate. Because the procedure relies on the natural process of fat breakdown, several treatments may be needed once a month. Patients may experience bruising, numbness, redness, pain and swelling which usually cleared up in 2-3 days.
How many treatments are needed?Some patients with small amounts of fat being treated may see their desired results after only one treatment. Many patients, however, saw desired results after 2-4 visits, spaced 4 weeks apart. Patients may receive up to 6 treatments, with no less than a month apart. Patient results and number of treatments needed are dependent on how much fat is being eradicated for their desired look.
How long do results last?Most patients report results that last at least 2 years. Since Kybella actually destroys the cells in the injection site, results may even be permanent.
Who is a candidate?Anyone over 18, in good health with moderate-to-severe submental fat can reap the benefits of this aesthetic treatment. If you have undesired fat beneath your chin and want to improve your appearance without the risk of surgery, Kybella could be the perfect exciting new procedure for you.
Is it painful?Pain is always relative, but most patients report only mild discomfort at the beginning of the procedure that subsides as the treatment progresses. Most people find an over-the-counter pain reliever is adequate to relieve any discomfort post-procedure. During subsequent treatment sessions, the level of discomfort lessens with the majority of patients.