- IPL PhotoFacials
- RF Facial Vein Removal
- Wrinkle Relaxers
- Scar Removal/resurfacing
- Skin Resurfacing for Stretch Marks
Tired of constantly shaving and waxing unwanted facial and body hair? With light-based hair removal you can get the touchable skin you’ve always wanted. All you need is a few fast, easy & practically pain-free treatments with the Palomar Icon IPL non-ablative laser to get lasting results.
Palomar is a pioneer in light and laser based equipment. They developed the first high-powered laser hair removal system in 1996 and the Icon IPL is the newest technology available. This laser features active contact cooling for maximum comfort— and the IPL is faster than other lasers, and thus we are able to treat large areas in less time. After researching many lasers, we found the Icon IPL to be most efficient and effective for permanent hair reduction and to treat pigmented lesions.
The Palomar pulsed light hand pieces use AccuSpectrum Technology to filter light in the optimal bands of the spectrum for specific treatments. This allows us to choose the best hand piece for the treatments you seek. It also reduces the risks often associated with any laser hair removal treatment because it allows complete customization and control to be adjusted for each of our individual patients’ skin types.
How does IPL work for hair removal?
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is a focused, precisely filtered light applied to the surface of the skin with a hand-held wand. This light travels through the skin until it strikes the hair shafts or the bulb (root) of the hair. The bulb is usually where the highest concentration of melanin is located, as opposed to the rest of the hair shaft. As the light is converted to heat energy, the bulb and most of the hair shaft are instantly vaporized.
The intense heat radiated by the hair also destroys the hair- producing papilla. This means that IPL treatments will permanently reduce the total number of body hairs, however, they will not result in a permanent removal of all hair. This is due to the fact that not all hair follicles are ‘active’ at the same time.
Only active hair follicles can be affected and destroyed by the treatment. ‘Inactive’ hair follicles can be treated as they become ‘active’ over time. For IPL treatments an average of 5-7 treatments are required to remove most visible hair; the amount of time for all ‘active’ hair follicle cycles to be treated.
The best results have been achieved on darker, finer hair but other factors may influence the treatment process, and are generally best evaluated and discussed in person.
What does the treatment include:
Depending on the amount of hair treated, the procedure varies from patient to patient. Generally, the treatment will include:
- Safety eyewear to protect the patient’s eyes during the procedure from the intense laser light.
- A topical numbing cream is applied to the treatment area.
- A small hand piece will be used with a probe that touches the skin to deliver the laser light.
- Most patients experience little discomfort at the treatment site.
- The degree of discomfort varies with each person, depending on his/her pain threshold. Be sure to discuss this with your physician in advance of the laser treatment.
- The procedure can take as little as 10 minutes or up to an hour, depending on the size of the area treated. All patients can go home immediately following treatment.
- The treated area may become pink or red within about 30 minutes of treatment; this may last from a few hours to several days.
How many treatments will I need?
Hair grows in cycles. The number of treatments required depends upon your skin, hair coloring and coarseness of the hair. Typically patients are recommended the following:
- 5-7 treatments 4-6 weeks a part to ensure all hair active growth cycles are treated.
- No hair removal other than shaving 6 weeks prior to treatment
- No sun exposure or self tanning 3-4 weeks prior
- Ideal candidate is light skin with dark hair but able to treat all skin types
- Hair grows in 3 cycles and best to target hair in the active growing stage (anagen). Usually 80% of hair is able to be treated (everyone has dormant or sleeping hairs)
- Treatment time: 1 – 60 minutes depending on body area and coarseness of the hair
Hair Growth Cycles
You should discuss your desired results and the improvements you expect to achieve. Together you and the physician can decide if your expectations will be met and if this laser treatment is the best option.
Palomar Icon advantages:
Skintel® Melanin Reader™
- Advanced technology measures the skins melanin index at each treatment.
- This index is used to determine the ideal settings for each individual patient.
- This increases the safety and results for each treatment.
Advanced Contact Cooling
- As the hand piece glides over the treatment area you will feel cooling on the skin.
- This contact cooling will maximize your comfort during the treatment, making it an extremely tolerable experience
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What areas can be treated?A: Hair on most areas of the body can be treated including face, back, chest, arms, underarms, bikini and legs.
Q: What type of result can I expect?A: Expect to see a gradual decrease in the hair thickness and in the amount of hair present in the area.
How long does the treatment take?The treatment takes just minutes for small areas and about 30 minutes for larger areas.
What does the procedure feel like?Patients describe a range of sensations from tingling to the snap of a runner band during the procedure.
When can I resume my daily activities?Typically, there is no downtime and you can return to your daily activities immediately following the procedure.