Sinuses are hollow air spaces within the bones between your eyes, behind your cheekbone, and in the forehead. They produce mucus, which helps keep the inside of your nose moist. That, in turn, helps protect against dust, allergens, and pollutants.
Inflammation of the sinuses, known as chronic sinusitis, accounts for more than 16 million outpatient visits a year in the U.S.– and countless time lost. In the past, sinus surgery was invasive, often performed through external incisions, and associated with significant pain. Westside Head & Neck doctors’ endoscopic approaches to nasal and sinus disorders are less invasive, less painful and yield great results.
We treat the full scope of nasal and sinus disorders, including:
- Cosmetic Rhinoplasty or Rhinoplasty Revision
- Deviated or Perforated septum
- Difficult infections
- Nasal fractures or broken nose
- Nasal masses and nasal tumors
- benign tumors
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Post nasal drip
- Rhinitis – an inflammation of the membranes lining the nose
- Chronic- an inflammation of the sinuses that lasts more than 12 weeks
- Fungal – – includes allergic fungal sinusitis and fungal ball plus acute or chronic invasive fungal sinusitis
- Smell & Taste disorders
- Sleep Apnea
- Triad asthma – a clinical syndrome defined by three conditions that exist together: asthma, aspirin sensitivity and nasal polyps
Diagnosis and Treatment
In order to accurately diagnose your issue, we take the time to listen to you. We compile a thorough patient history and review your previous records. Then we provide a detailed head and neck physical exam, which may include one or several of the following evaluations:
- Use of endoscope to evaluate your nose, sinus and larynx.
- Biopsy of a polyp or mass in the office
- Order a CT scan to help diagnose sinus disease
- Culture sinuses which are then evaluated in the lab to detect and identify bacteria
If your sinus issue requires surgery, Westside Head & Neck uses image-guided, minimally invasive surgeries to take care of complex medical and surgical issues in patients with sinus disorders. We provide high-quality, efficient treatment in a multidisciplinary setting. We have in-house allergists, and ear, nose and throat doctors, as well as close relationships with hearing and sleep specialists around the city.
Possible treatment options based on the diagnosis of the sinus disorder, my include one or a combination of the following:
- Balloon Sinuplasty
- Cosmetic rhinoplasty and rhinoplasty revisions
- Fiberoptic nasal endoscopy
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery
- Functional rhinoplasty
- Turbinate Reduction (Radio Frequency)
- Turbinate Reduction (Surgical)
- Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)