Allergies affect more than 50 million Americans every year. They originate from the immune system (the body’s defense mechanism) which defends the body against harmful microorganisms such as viruses and bacteria by releasing antibodies that kill the invaders.
Allergic reactions occur when the body releases antibodies in response to harmless substances such as dust and pollen. Allergies cause different discomforts, ranging from wheezing to itchy eyes. Allergy testing Los Angeles will help you know the exact substances causing your allergy and what to do.
Do Allergies Benefit Your Health?
While allergies indicate that the immune system is not functioning correctly, a group of researchers’ suggests otherwise. They argue that these allergies could be the body’s mechanism of getting rid of toxic substances and that allergies are indicators of strong immune systems. The concept is:
- Allergy symptoms keep unhealthy irritants out of the body. For instance, if you inhale an undesirable substance such as pollen, you may sneeze to exhale it or produce extra mucus.
- Allergic reactions are the body’s means of warning you to avoid toxic substances. Undoubtedly, if you sneeze or cough a lot when exposed to dust, you are likely to avoid dusty environments.
Currently, there are different studies about allergic reactions. Some indicate that allergies are more robust defenses against certain cancers.
- A 2012 study by Ohio State University revealed that people without allergies were at a higher risk of developing glioma than people with allergies. The risk difference between the two groups was 50 percent.
- Another study by the American Association for Cancer Research concluded that people with hay fever and asthma are 17 percent less likely to die from colorectal cancer than other groups.
- One study revealed that children who are exposed to allergens in their first year are less likely to develop allergies later on.
One way of explaining the relationship between allergies and better responses to certain cancers is that allergies strengthen the body’s defense system. It makes it more effective in identifying and eliminating cancer-causing toxins. This concept forms the basis of Los Angeles allergy immunotherapy.
What is Los Angeles Allergy Immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy in Los Angeles is a common treatment for certain types of diseases. Los Angeles allergy immunotherapy entails training the immune system to identify and fight diseases. It boosts the body’s defense system. Immunotherapy has proven effective in the treatment of certain conditions and it takes two approaches:
- Introducing foreign substances in the body to trigger immune responses
- Using antibody-like substances to fight diseases
The use of immunotherapy in Los Angeles to treat diseases has developed a great deal in this century. However, research into more effective ways of training the immune system to fight diseases is still ongoing.
Allergies May Be Saving Your Life After All!
Allergies are often treated by medication or avoidance of the allergens. Treating allergy symptoms could seem convenient. However, reducing exposure to allergens could be a missed opportunity to train the body’s defense system.
It is imperative to consult an allergy doctor Los Angeles as soon as you develop allergies. If you don’t know the exact substances causing your allergy, you should undergo an allergy testing Los Angeles. An ENT doctor Los Angeles will examine your case and advise you accordingly.